Quirky Little Science Facts To Blow Your Mind!!
The world is amazing, people. The way it works, the stuff that inhabits it–it’s mind blowing. Here is a short list of awesome science facts that people should know.
1. Researchers have confirmed that occasionally asexual reproduction has been seen in captivity among snakes, Komodo dragons and sharks. Now they’re even scarier.
2. A thimbleful of a neutron star would weigh over 100 million tons.
3. There are 62,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body – laid end to end they would circle the earth 2.5 times.
4. Lightning strikes produce O3, which is ozone. It strengthens the ozone layer of the atmosphere, which protects the planet from the sun’s rays. So lightning is ecofriendly.
5. Myotonia is the condition that causes fainting goats to stiffen or fall over when startled. This condition is a combination of recessive genes. The goat will stiffen or stiffen and fall lasting 10 to 20 seconds, at which time they are fully awake and aware of what is going on around them. Which makes them about a thousand times more entertaining now.
6. Jellyfish have been around for more than 650 million years, which means that they outdate both dinosaurs and sharks.
7. There are 10 times more bacterial cells in your body than human cells, so you’ve been invaded. Good luck sleeping tonight, germaphobes.
8. NASA has projected that the Andromeda galaxy and our galaxy, the Milky Way, will collide and merge together in 4 billion years. So if we survive the Mayan’s prediction (which is coming up!) then we’re still going to die in a firey blaze.
9. The current world record for the fastest solved Rubik’s Cube is 5.66 seconds which was set by Feliks Zemdegs (Australia) at the Melbourne Winter Open in 2011. Why is everyone good at this game but me?
10. The common frilled shark (Chlamydoselachus anguineus), an extremely primitive species native to all oceans of the world, has the longest recorded gestation period of any animal species, namely 3.5 years. It’s no wonder they’re so cranky and attacking people.
Posted on November 27, 2012, in Entertainment, News and tagged andromeda, asexual, atmosphere, awesome, bacteria, cells, climate, collisionrubik's cube, dominant, earth, fainting goat, genes, invasion, jellyfish, komodo dragon, ligthtning, miles, milky way, myotoniagalaxy, nasa, neutron star, o3, oceans, ozone, recessive, reproductionblood vessels, science, shark. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.